Thursday, August 15, 2013

July 8, 2013 – Two wines from the 2005 vintage

It was my turn to select wines for dinner and I wanted to introduce my friend to two of the more notable Napa Valley Cabernets from this praised vintage.  The first wine I selected was a wine made of Cabernet Sauvignon, while the second was a blend of the classic Bordeaux varietals.  Both wines were served from half-bottles with no decanting – the second wine did have the cork pulled about an hour before pouring it.  The outcome of this tasting is that I have even greater confidence in the strength and quality of the wines made in this vintage.

2005 Hollywood and Vine Cabernet Sauvignon

I first discovered this winery’s Cabernet while sampling from the 2001 vintage.  Back in 2006, that wine was memorable for its richness and its over-the-top tannins.  Basically, the wine was begging for ten years of cellaring before having its cork pulled.  When I found these half-bottles of 2005, I was informed by the wine shop owner that the winery had brought in a consultant and “fixed” the problem with the tannins.  I opened the first bottle in 2009 and found it readily enjoyable.  (My guests were upset that I had brought only a half-bottle for dinner before the symphony.)  Tonight, this wine exhibited balance and power, though it was the lighter-bodied of the two wines.  On the palette I noted both black and red fruits, with black cherry, black licorice, red currant, dark chocolate, and balanced minerals.

2005 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red

When you see a bottle of wine rated 96 points (by the Wine Advocate), you have to wonder what it’s like.  So, I eventually bought three half-bottles from my local wine shop.  The half-bottles just sat on the store shelf for months.  Finally, my curiosity moved me to pull the cork on one, and I was impressed with the wine - absolutely wonderful!  When I returned to pick up a few more bottles, they were sold out.  It would seem that someone else had opened a bottle at the same time I did and scooped them up just ahead of me.  I found a few more bottles through another retailer and have my happy supply now.  Tonight I opened this wine and it was unarguably the favorite of the evening.  Immediately, you notice this wine’s potent nose.  On the palette,  the texture is juicy and plush, with notes of black raspberry, cranberry, dark cherry, black licorice, and subtle mineral, all delivered in perfect balance with a persistent richness on the mid-palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment