Thursday, August 1, 2013

June 28, 2013 – Wine: 2009 Provenance Sauvignon Blanc

I don’t drink much white wine.  Red wines appeal to me more, but when the temperature is still hovering above 87 degrees after work, I want something cold.  I had placed this bottle in the refrigerator about a month ago in anticipation of warm weather and was rewarded for that effort tonight.  If you want a crisp, lightweight Sauvignon Blanc, open it as soon as you buy and chill it.  Otherwise, hold onto the bottle for about two to three years and you will allow it to soften and develop its “dessert” characteristics (think Crème Brule).  As expected, you find lime and grapefruit on the palette, but this is balanced nicely with a slight sweetness on the finish, suggesting a caramelized dessert like Crème Brule, as well as an oatmeal quality that I enjoy.  While not crisp, this nicely aged Sauvignon Blanc was wonderfully smooth and weighty – a sort of Cabernet-drinker’s white wine.  My favorite vintage of this wine so far has been the 2005, but this nicely aged vintage was a close second.  I am looking forward to my 2012’s though, as all the 2012 Sauvignon Blancs that I have tasted have been wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment