Tuesday, August 6, 2013

June 30, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Chateau Le Pape Pessac-Leognan

I bought this half-bottle back in 2008 and tucked this away until tonight.  The price was very reasonable so I bought it blindly – an inexpensive Bordeaux from an acclaimed vintage was an easy “buy” decision.  I decided it was time to open this wine, so tonight the cork came out.  I was pressed for time (who schedules a conference call at 10:00pm on a Sunday?) and so I began tasting this wine shortly after opening.  The nose was prominent on this wine, and the palette was initially fruit-forward (yet well balanced) with flavors of blackberry, pencil lead, pomegranate, black currant, and dark chocolate.  After about an hour open, the minerals asserted themselves, along with tobacco, pushing the fruits into the back seat.  Then I had to dash off.  (sad-face emoticon here)

2005 Chateau Le Pape


No comments:

Post a Comment